3D Printing Procedures
The procedures for printing from the College’s 3D printers are as follows:
- The 3D printer can be used with basic knowledge of Computer Assisted Drawing (CAD). Creating a new design requires an advanced knowledge of 3D modeling software products. Video tutorials that accompany CAD programs can be of assistance.
- Any 3D drafting or scanning software may be used to create a design as long as the file can be saved in .stl file format.
Submitting a design for printing:
- Persons wanting to use the 3D printer shall upload their files (in .stl file format) and complete the 3D Printing Request Form via the link to the left. Staff will add the model to the printing queue.
- If there is high demand, the College will schedule only one print per day per person or entity.
- The files will be readied for printing in 3DPrint or other authorized software. The College will view all files in 3DPrint or other authorized software before printing.
- Wait/pickup time: Items may be picked up at the Dean’s Office. It is sometimes difficult to estimate exact print times. College staff will make an educated guess about the length of a job upon request.
- 3D printing: the process of making a physical object from a digital model.
- CAD: Computer Assisted Drawing.
Please note that procedures governing the use of the College’s 3D printers are subject to change.