The College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics (NSM) is dedicated to the principle that teaching and research are intricately mixed and that undergraduate research, when properly approached, is an integral part of teaching. This fine balance between teaching and research is NSM's greatest strength. Through the combination of quality instruction, student involvement in research and strong academic advisement, NSM provides its students with the best education possible.
NSM is one of seven colleges at CSUF and contains five departments. The college offers through its departments and programs, baccalaureate degrees in all disciplines and master's degrees in biological science, chemistry, biochemistry, geology, physics and mathematics.
Dan Black Hall NSM currently has 91 full-time faculty members. In 2010, there were over 2000 students majoring in the programs offered by NSM. Each year the college graduates an average of about 260 students with baccalaureate degrees and 65 students with master's degrees. Many of our graduates, either immediately following graduation or after receiving postgraduate degrees, find employment in the neighboring communities, providing a tremendous resource for the economic development of the area.
Through creating knowledge and learning by discovery, CNSM changes the lives of students while preparing them for advanced degrees and successful careers in science and mathematics.
The College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics is dedicated to the principle that teaching and research are intricately mixed and that undergraduate research is an integral part of education. Through the combination of quality instruction, student involvement in research, and strong academic advisement, we transform the student experience.
Exploration by Inquiry and Learning Through Discovery.
Strategic Goals (2011/12 – 2015/16)
- Goal 1: Maintain the infrastructure required for high-quality research and preparation of students for future graduate school and career pursuits
- Goal 2: Establish transdisciplinary research and degree programs
- Goal 3: Upgrade and advance CNSM undergraduate and graduate programs
- Goal 4: Prepare students for careers
- Goal 5: Increase CNSM graduation rates
- Goal 6: Increase CNSM funding base
- Goal 7: Increase efficiency of current resource management
- Goal 8: Maintain an appropriate number of high-quality staff members
- Goal 9: Establish a 21st century learning environment